Oregon Science Fiction Conventions

(OSFCI)

Board of Directors Meeting

April 27, 2010

ATTENDING: (Board members) Arthur Aldridge, Beverly Block, Aaron Curtis (OSFCI President), Rick Lindsley (OSFCI Treasurer, Tammy Lindsley, John Lorentz (OSFCI Secretary), Mike Pinnick, Debra Stansbury and Marc Wells, as well as Andrew Nisbet III (see below).

Also attending were James Fiscus (Clayton and Endeavour ex-officio member), Sam Justice (OSFCI attorney), Devlin Perez, Ruth Sachter, D. Stephen Raymond, Tracy Penner (others?– not everyone signed the list).

The meeting started at 7:30PM, Aaron Cell Phone time.

Before starting the agenda, the Board took up naming a replacement for Kamila Miller, whose lack of attendance has dropped her from the Board. John Lorentz moved that the Board appoint Andrew Nisbet to the Board until the end of the year, and this motion passed unanimously.


I. Minutes of Previous Meeting

Aaron Curtis asked the Board members if they had read the minutes when they were distributed (not everyone had) and reminded people that it's their duty as Board members to read the minutes as soon as possible after they are distributed, to check for inaccuracies. (It's the only thing that prevents the Secretary from putting whatever he wants in the minutes.)

The minutes from the previous meeting were then accepted by general acclamation.


II. President's Inaugural Address (Aaron Curtis)

Since this was Aaron's first meeting since taking over as President after the completion of GameStorm, he used this time to lay out his agenda for the year, and describe what he wanted the organization to do, besides just maintaining the status quo–and that is to get the financial house in order. For the last few years, we've been content to let Arthur do what he could on his own to keep us from sinking, and Arthur's succeeded in keeping us from sinking.

But that’s not good enough for the future. We need to have a better feel for all of our accounts, and our treasurers need to be better trained.


III. Treasurer's Report (Rick Lindsley)

Rick has been spending the time since the last meeting working with Arthur Aldridge (the former OSFCI Treasurer) to come up to speed on his duties. He now has access to eight of the nine OSFCI accounts (which is better than the three he had access to until two weeks ago), as well as all the records from Arthur. (Those nine accounts are the OSFCI checking and savings accounts, the OryCon Even and Odd accounts, the GameStorm Even and Odd accounts, the OSFCI merchant account, the Endeavour account and the Campbell Award Pin account.)

Looking over the records from 2007, 2008 and 2009, OSFCI has been able to reduce its expenses a great deal, and credit for that goes to Arthur. We've seen our insurance go down, our storage go down, our web site expenses go down–and these are all things that have happened under his watch.

Rick distributed a financial statement for the last year, and a proposed budget for 2010. We have a total in all accounts (including the events) of about $65,000, $20K of which is in the OSFCI savings account. He wants to discuss with Arthur and with Aaron on what OSFCI's policies should be, how we close our books, and how much money we should leave in each account. Aaron: How many of those accounts are being charged a fee? Rick: Currently none, but looking at the statements that hasn't always been true. Andrew: The list of accounts seems to be two short. Arthur: Those are the accounts that are with Wells Fargo. The Petrey and the Clayton accounts are with different banks. Andrew: I assume once you’re done beating Wells Fargo into submission, then you will be working with those banks to gain access, also. Jim Fiscus: We need to get a new signature card filed with what \ is now Chase (formerly Washington Mutual) for the Clayton account. Arthur: The Petrey Fund is with US Bank.

There was some discussion on banks, and dealing with cash deposits. Aaron had a few items that needed reimbursement (the Board approved them to be paid), and there was discussion on getting the GameStorm PO Box set up to automatically charge the rental fees to the OSFCI account. Aaron: We spent $250 last year on "Mark Protection"–what is that? John Lorentz: Those are the annual Assumed Business Name fees for OryCon, GameStorm, the Susan Petrey Fund, the Clayton Memorial Fund and the Endeavour Award. Aaron: Have we registered "OryCon" as a service mark? (No.) Have the marks been registered in Washington? Sam Justice: I don’t think so.

Aaron: As a non-profit, our taxes (or the filing for an extension) are due May 15th? (Yes) (There was some general discussion on what was needed to get in the last of the information for filing the IRS forms.)

The Treasurer’s report was accepted.

There was more discussion on the proposed budget. Do we want to budget for miscellaneous and capital expenses? (They haven’t been in the budget for several years, even though we do end up spending money on them.)

After some discussion, Andrew moved (Tammy Lindsley seconded) that we allocate $200 each for Miscellaneous and Capital expenses. This was approved by the Board, and Rick pointed out that the current proposed budget was in the black, so that adding these two expenses doesn’t prevent us from having a positive budget balance.

There was some discussion (and some confusion) on the distribution of surpluses from events, since there is variation between the OryCon and GameStorm management agreements (and also between different GameStorms). Also Rick's found that sometimes surplus money that supposed to go to OSFCI from OryCon isn't being transferred, but is left in that event's account (OryCon Even/OryCon Odd). For example, there's currently $7,000 sitting in the OryCon Even account (even though OryCon 30 closed its books more than a year ago). John: It seems like it would make it much clearer for the Treasurer if all of the money (save for what minimum is needed to keep the account open without fees) is promptly transferred from the event accounts to the OSFCI account.

Copies of management agreements need to be given to Rick, so that he knows how the money is supposed to be distributed.

Arthur: There is an additional item of discussion here. Sometimes, after an event is over and the books have been closed, a late expense surfaces from that event. In the past, since a surplus from the event has been transferred to OSFCI, he's just paid the expense out of OSFCI funds since OSFCI has received money from the event in question. But some of the recent GameStorm agreements have transferred a substantial amount of money to the following year's event, and a GameStorm might have to reach a surplus of around $4,000 before any money goes to OSFCI. His feeling in this case is that the following year's GameStorm should pay that expense, since the previous year's money is being transferred forward.


IV. Reports on Sponsored Activities
A. Conventions and Bids
1. OryCon 31 (Debra Stansbury)

Debra really wants to get together with her treasurer and get the books closed. This will be done by the July Board meeting.


2. GameStorm 12 (Aaron Curtis)

Aaron: GameStorm 12 went splendidly. The membership was over 800 people (up from 739 last year). This was the first time in several years that the convention was in the same hotel for two years in a row. They have a great relationship with the hotel–the Hilton really likes GameStorm. Everyone is all fired up for neat year. There's a committee retreat planned for May to talk about the room changes for next year. They've estimated that this hotel could handle a GameStorm of up to 1,5000 people.

As for closing the books, there are still a few people to hear from on whether they have expenses to be paid (Hospitality still has $75 left, so there won't be any further expenses there). The only outstanding amount that might be significant is Industry Outreach. The estimated surplus is about $4,500.


3. OryCon 32 (Tammy Lindsley)

OryCon 32 is coming along OK. The GOHs are happy, and the liaisons are working with them. OryCon has already approached them about items for the program book. Tammy needs to meet with the treasurer to go over the working budget they have so far. (She hopes to have the final budget ready by the next OryCon meeting, May 15th.)

The latest count from Reg puts OryCon at about 500 paid members. It's not know how that compares to this time last year (but compared to historical numbers it's pretty good). The registrar is dealing with several personal issues that are eating into his time, so Tammy is making sure he has some help with Reg.

Progress Report #1 has been published, and is available on the web. Once Reg can catch up, it will be mailed out. There will be a second PR out before the next price break at the end of July.

There will be a meeting in June at the hotel, with a walk through at that time.


4. GameStorm 13 (Aaron Curtis)

The chair of GS 13 (David Schaber) was not present, so Aaron gave the report. There was a meeting last week, and there is a retreat planned for May in Salishan (one of the committee members has a family home there). Currently there are 164 people registered for GS 13 (compared to 90 last year at this time).

There will be some game days during the year (the exact dates aren't know yet, because the final contract hasn’t been signed).

GameStorm Hotel Contract

The contract's been negotiated with the Vancouver Hilton for GameStorms in 2011 and 2012. They've given Aaron nearly everything he's asked for—all the space, save for one small room on Sunday that's already been reserved. They’re charging $0 for function space (that's a good price). The hotel sleeping rooms are staying the same price ($111). Hospitality will continue to be in Discover A (but not Discovery A & B–that's one of the things they could not get–it's still a lot of room.)

Aaron shared the proposed contract with other members of the Hotel committee, and got their feedback. He faxed in the signed copy (signed by him) to them on Friday, and he has not yet received the counter-signed copy. Once he has the signed copy back, they can schedule the game days for this year. GameStorm starts on March 24th in 2011 and on March 22nd on 2012, avoiding Easter (and Norwescon) both of these years and in 2013, when Easter is in March. There are four comped days at the hotel per year—one will be used for a committee meeting, and three for game days.


B. Funds and Awards

1. Campbell Pin Fund

We’ve heard nothing from Jay on the status of the Pin. This may have served its purpose, since the pins have been purchased. (There's currently $190 in the bank account.) John or Ruth will check with Jay to see if this is needed anymore.


2. Clayton Memorial Medical Fund (James Fiscus)

Copies of the report were distributed at the meeting (see below). Not much to report—fewer people are getting sick, or they’re covered by insurance.


3. Endeavour Award (James Fiscus)

Copies of the report were distributed at the meeting (see below). Still looking for an administrator (probably haven’t been as active there as they should be). There's been a sharp increase in the number of books submitted this year–44, up 18 from last year (which was a down year). Admittedly, four of those were from one man (a professor of music at Lewis & Clark).

There is about $3,800 in the bank, which means they're OK for this year, but will need some money for next year (they're trying to keep at least a year ahead of things). They are hoping to improve the presentation of the award this year–last year, Steve Perry agreed to be the presenter this year. Aaron: How much do you spend each year? Jim: About $2,500.

Debra Stansbury: Has the Endeavour Award been gaining in popularity or notice? Jim: As far as he can determine, it is. It's been cited more, and the finalists and winners have been posting the logo on their web sites. Ruth Sachter: Do you have your judges this year? Jim: I have one at this point, which puts us actually ahead of most years. Tammy Lindsley: Do you see this year's Editor GOH (for OryCon) having a part in the presentation, or do you wish her to be part of it? Jim: We'd have no objection but it would depend on whether any of the finalists are published by her imprint (Firebird) or its parent.


4. Susan Petrey Fund

Copies of the report were distributed at the meeting (Paul and Debbie could not make it to the meeting tonight). Andrew: At a previous meeting, Debbie and Paul said that they were looking for someone to take over the Petrey Fund this year, so that they could train them for a year before they retire in 2012. John: They've said recently that they've had no success finding someone yet. There was some discussion on helping them find a candidate. If the Board is going to help in the search, than we probably should get from them a description of what they're looking for (and who they've already talked to so far).

If they are unsuccessful in finding someone to replace them, then the plan is to donate the Petrey Funds to the Clarion workshops and let them manage the funds.


IV. Other Continuing Business

A. Storage Committee

Debra: The storage bins have been purchased.


A. Hotel Committee

The report was made during GameStorm 13 report above.


V. New Business

A. OryCon 33 (2012) Bid

Devlin Perez presented a bid to chair OryCon 33. (See below.) There were no other proposals presented (one other possible bid was merged into this bid).

Aaron: We have one proposal, so our job is to decide if this is good enough or if we want to wait for other bids.

Devlin: I've worked on OryCons and other OSFCI ventures for several years, in operations and security and other departments. I've helped solve issues as they’ve come up. Aaron: Why do you want to be chair? Devlin: I feel very strongly about the convention, and want to make sure it runs smoothly. I want to make sure there are sufficient people in departments, such as multiple logistics people, so no one person is run ragged during the convention. Jim: What accounting experience does your treasurer have? Stephen: I’ve just finished a stint as treasurer of GameStorm 12, and compared to the previous three years of treasurers (for GameStorm), I've been a lot more responsive to communications. \At present, the books for GameStorm are completely up-to-date, and it is my goal to close the books by June 30th, which may be a record. My prior treasury experience was for the Stamford branch of the student government of the University of Connecticut. I was treasurer there for three years, when prior to that they’d commonly had three treasurers a semester.

Jim: In the last couple of years, there have always been contested bids. And as the process goes earlier, it's (philosophically) a good idea to have contested bids.

Andrew: One reason for choosing a chair this early is to allow the preferred GOH to be invited. Possible GOHs are getting their schedules set further and further in advance. Can we put this off until the next meeting? (It's likely it will hurt the efforts in getting an acceptance from the proposed GOH.) Tracy Penner said that she had thought about putting together a bid but when she found out about Devlin's, she decided to work with him (although her name was not listed on the proposal, she will be part of Devlin's committee) to try to put together the best possible convention. Everyone who is in this committee has worked on OryCon during some very harrowing years, and we don't want to repeat that.

John: Several weeks ago, I sent out notices to the OryCon mailing list, the OSFCI mailing list, the OryCon 32 committee list, the OSFCI Board list, announcing that we will be probably choosing an OryCon 33 chair at this meeting. There's been plenty of notice and no one else has come forward. Marc: Do you intend to change any of the long-time policies of OryCon? (No)

Rick: As the webmaster for OryCon 32, we've had a lot of compliments on having the OryCon 32 web site up as soon as OryCon 31 was over, and that's because we had a lot of time to prepare for the start of OryCon 32. Debra: As early as I got my bid in for OryCon 31, I was still too late to get my preferred GOH. Stephen: Is there any reason why there can't be more than one vice-chair? Andrew: The OryCon committee structure has always been eccentric—one OryCon had six chairs, another had three. One thing I wish would come back is the presence of an executive committee. Debra: Do you plan on having an executive committee? Devlin: Yes.

Andrew: Who is running Programming? Devlin: I was hoping you (Andrew) would. In a lot of cases, I'm planning on waiting until after OryCon 32 to make sure people aren’t burnt out in their job. Aaron: One of your primary jobs as a chair is to recruit a strong team, and listing a strong team in your proposal is a good demonstration of your leadership abilities as a chair.

There was some discussion of what is needed to have a complete proposal for chairing an event.

Devlin: I am trying to recruit a strong group. Part of the problem is the Worldcon (Renovation, the 2011 Worldcon in Reno), which is draining a lot of people away from being available early on for OryCon that year.

Aaron: A question for people—back when we did Westercons, what did we do when we had an OryCon and a Westercon in the same year? The first time, OryCon was a relaxicon—a move that hurt OryCon and it took several years to get the attendance numbers back up. Since then, we just expected fewer people at OryCon. John: Remember, Westercon is two months earlier than a Worldcon, and is a lot smaller. Aaron: This all gives even more of a reason to get OryCon 33 in place early.

Devlin: The first thing I plan to do if I run into trouble is to come to the Board for help.

Rick proposed that we could tentatively accept the proposal—we could tentatively accept this proposal and let Devlin go ahead and invite his suggested GOH. If at the next meeting, someone else comes forth with a proposal (which Rick thinks unlikely) we could re-evaluate OryCon 33 if Devlin doesn't have a GOH acceptance yet. Aaron suggested that we could just go ahead and invite that person as a GOH, and decide on the OryCon 33 chair next time. Marc: One of the primary reasons for being chair is to be able to select the Guest of Honor. I'd be uncomfortable dictating the GOH choice to a chair. Andrew: It has been done before.

Andrew moved that we accept the proposal, with the understanding that a more complete proposal be presented at the next meeting, and with the understanding that without a more complete proposal that the Board has the right not to sign a management agreement with Devlin. John seconded the motion. Andrew asked Devlin if this was acceptable to him. Devlin replied that it was disheartening, but he will put together a more complete proposal. Michael Pinnick: Do you see the Reno Worldcon having an impact on OryCon that year? Devlin: I don’t foresee it have a major impact. The Seattle NASFiC a few years ago had no visible impact on OryCon that year.

Andrew: I'm in favor of the proposal, but I would like the Board to have just a tiny fallback. John: I have no interest in voting for someone else's proposal–I'd just like to see this proposal a little more fleshed out, a little more complete. This is nothing different than what we've asked for a few GameStorms, when the timing of the Board meeting conflicted with the planning of the previous year's GameStorm, not allowing for a complete write-up initially for the proposal. Marc would like to see the more complete proposal available before the next meeting, so that we could be prepared to discuss it. (Unknown–Tracy?): To clarify it, you want a more fleshed committee list, a full policy write-up and (something that could not heard on the tape over the sound of the very loud ventilation system)? Marc: Yes, and there was some concern over Dave Schaber being the sole vice-chair.

The Board approved the motion unanimously.


B. The OryCon Program Participant Comping Policy

This was tabled until the next meeting.


C. John Andrews

John: At this meeting, I was going to ask the Board that we award John Andrews OryCon committee points permanently for each year, because he was no longer well enough to volunteer at the convention. But a few weeks ago, we lost John Andrews. He was one of the founders of this group. He was the first treasurer of OryCon, the first treasurer of PorSFiS, the first treasurer of OSFCI. Without John Andrews, we wouldn't be meeting here today. OSFCI wouldn't have been formed. We should acknowledge the great influence he had on this group. We wouldn't be a non-profit corporation with John Andrews, we probably wouldn't have OryCon without John Andrews. A lot of him had know him for many years and we’re going to miss him.

The Board decided that John Andrews would be a permanent OSFCI member.


And with that, the meeting was adjourned.


The next Board meeting will be an afternoon BBQ meeting on Saturday, July 17th, 2010, at Aaron Curtis’ house, time TBA.



Oregon Science Fiction Conventions, Inc.

April, 2010

  Budgeted
2010
through
3/31/10
OPERATING EXPENSES
Insurance $1,700 $0.00
Storage $0 $0.00
Corporate Registration $55 $0.00
Legal Expenses $300 $300.00
Mark Protection $250 $0.00
Bank Fees $0 $7.50
Taxes
  Oregon CT-12 $60 $0.00
  Penalties $0 $80.00
  Interest $0 $0.31
Postage
  Bulk Mail Permit $200 $0.00
  PO Box Rent $210 $70.00
  Other Postage $25 $0.00
Printing/Secretarial Expenses $100 $74.34
Meeting Space $225 $423.50
Web Site Expenses $20 $0.00
Miscellaneous Expenses $0 $198.74
Total Operating Expenses $3,145 $1,154.39
 
INCOME
Interest $20 $1.96
IRS Refund $0 $0.00
OryCon Overhead Fee $2,700 $0.00
GameStorm Overhead Fee $1,200 $0.00
Surplus $0 $0.00
Total Income $3,920 $1.96



Oregon Science Fiction Conventions, Inc.

April, 2010

  2010 2009 2008 2007 Comments
  Actual Budget
(proposed)
Actual Budget Actual Actual
OPERATING EXPENSES
Insurance $0.00 $1,700 $1,601.00 $2,500 $2,030.00 $2,769.30
Storage $0 $0.00 $0 $0.00 $0.00 $850.00 $219/mo regularly for 10'x20', free storage
since 2008 due to non-profit status
Corporate Registration $0.00 $55 $155.00 $55 $50.00 $50.00
Legal Expenses $300.00 $300 $300.00 $300 $300.00 $300.00
Mark Protection $0.00 $250 $250.00 $200 ?
Bank Fees $7.50 $0 $72.00 $80 $71.00 $40.00 (2007) amount incomplete
Taxes
  Oregon CT-12 $0.00 $60 $0.00 $60 $45.00 ?
  Penalties $80.00 $0 $3,951.58 $0
  Interest $0.31 $0 $0.00 $0
Postage
  Bulk Mail Permit $0.00 $200 $185.00 $200 $180.00 $180.00
  PO Box Rent $70.00 $210 $0.00 $210 $198.00 $136.00 (2007) GS PO Box not included
  Other Postage $0.00 $25 $0.00 $25 $12.08 $23.77
Printing/Secretarial Expenses $74.34 $100 $58.44 $50 ? ?
Meeting Space $423.50 $225 $121.00 $225 $191.25 $191.25
Web Site Expenses $0.00 $20 $0.00 $20 $9.95 $450.9 2008 GS Domain pre-Reg for 5 yrs recently,
$9.95 lower actual expense until expires
Miscellaneous Expenses $198.74 $0 $714.32 $0 $0.00
Total Operating Expenses $1,033.39 $3,145 $7,408/34 $3,920 $3,087.28 $4,991.22
 
INCOME
Interest $1.96 $20 $8.54 $20 $319.75 $401.43 2008 value > than expected, Interest on
IRS penalties and CD.
IRS Refund $0.00 $0 $3,735.73
OryCon Overhead Fee $0.00 $2,700 $2,752.00 $2,700 $2,920.00 $2,920.00
GameStorm Overhead Fee $0.00 $1,200 $1,474.00 $1,200 $1,248.00 $1,248.00
Surplus $0.00 $0 $1,106.00 $0 $11,50.38 $0.00
Total Income $1.96 $3,920 $9,076.27 $3,920 $5,638.13 $4,569.43



Susan C. Petrey Scholarship

Income Statement - 2010 Q1



Balance (12/31/2009) $10,665.75
 
Income
 
Oregon Community Foundation - 2010 $0.00
OryCon Income $0.00
Other Donations $50.00
Interest $3.20
 
Total $53.20
 
Expenses
 
Scholarships $2,000.00
Fellowship $1,800.00
 
Total $3,800.00
 
Balance (3/31/2010) $6,918.95
 
OCF Balance (12/31/2009) $43,252.20

2010 Recipients


The Clayton Memorial Medical Fund Award
Report to the OSFCI Board

April 27, 2010

There have been no changes in the Fund since our last report.

Requests for Aid:

The Fund received one request for aid, but it was from a person living outside of our geographical area.

Funds Available:

The Fund has approximately $7,500 in the bank.


Board of Trustees

Committee MembersFirst AppointedTerm Expires
James Fiscus, ChairmanOctober 1996November 2010
Page Fuller, TreasurerOctober 1996November 2010
Arthur Aldridge, OSFCI Rep.July 2005While serving on OSFCI Board.
Geri JeterNovember 2002November 2011
Ruth SachterNovember 2002November 2011
Marc WellsNovember 2003November 2011

Submitted,
James W. Fiscus
Chairman, Clayton Board of Trustees



The Endeavour Award
Report to the OSFCI Board

April 27, 2010

Administrator Needed:

We are still looking for an administrator to run the Award on a daily basis. The Administrator's main jobs are to manage circulation of books to readers and aid in obtaining books from publishers.

Financial Report:

We have received no donations since our December report. The Award has approximately $3,850 in the bank.

Books Submitted and Judging:

We had 44 books published in 2009 entered for the 2010 Award, up 18 from last year. While five or six were self-published, it is a sharp increase. Preliminary judging is going more quickly than last year, and we should have our finalists well ahead of our June 30 deadline.

Endeavour Committee

Committee MembersFirst AppointedTerm Expires
Sarah BryantOctober 2006November 2012
James Fiscus, ChairmanOctober 1996November 2011
Page FullerOctober 1996November 2011
Marilyn J. HoltSeptember 2000November 2011
Sara MuellerOctober 2003November 2010
Alan RosenthalJanuary 2006November 2012
Sheila SimonsonOctober 1996November 2010
Shawn Wall, TreasurerNovember 2005November 2010

Submitted,
James W. Fiscus
Chairman, Endeavour Award

Orycon 33 Proposal

By Devlin Perez
Typed by Jenn Contreras-Perez

Location: DoubleTree Hotel at Lloyd Center
Date: November 11th-13th, 2011

Theme: "The Lighter Side of Horror"

A brief introduction for those on the board who have not worked with me. I have run Operations, Security and Volunteers for multiple years and have helped with Tech, Hospitality and Logistics for both Orycon and GameStorm. In addition I have assisted with Security at Cascadia Con.

My theme choice, "The Lighter Side of Horror", would be a fun play from the theme of the previous year. It will invite a closer look at Horror writing as it pertains to Science Fiction, including monsters, elder gods, cute fluffy bunnies (aren't they the same) and all the things that go bump in the night.

The following is a list of people I would like to invite as our Guests of Honor:

For the Editor, I would like to obtain a list of eligible editors to send invitations to from OFSCI.

Thank you for your consideration of my proposal.

(* Due to Dyslexia, I will require an additional Committee Position. All written communication will be directed through my assistant.)