Oregon Science Fiction Conventions

(OSFCI)

Board of Directors Meeting

December 7, 2006

ATTENDING: (Board members) Arthur Aldridge, Steve Criss, Aaron Curtis, Karyn Hoffert, John Lorentz (OSFCI Secretary), Aaron Nabil, Andrew Nisbet III, Linda Pilcher (OSFCI President), Patty Wells, John Williamson (OSFCI Treasurer); Debbie Cross & Paul Wrigley (Susan C. Petrey Fund); Mary Olsen (OryCon 28 Chair), Ruth Sachter (Potlatch Chair), Marc Wells (OryCon 28 Treasurer);Melvin Krehbiel, Michael Pinnick, Brenna Sharp.

The meeting started at 7:42PM "T-Mobile Time" (which was 7:41PM Cingular time). The start was delayed five minutes to allow traffic-impaired Board members to arrive.


I. Minutes of Previous Meeting

Karyn moved that the minutes from the previous meeting be accepted, John W. seconded the motion and this was approved by the Board.


II. Treasurer's Report (John Williamson)

John W. did some research with Wells Fargo, and discovered that OSFCI had a lot of checking accounts (many left over from previous events). Some of these accounts were being charged $6 a month, one was being charged $20(!). Several of these were closed, and the balances consolidated to active accounts.

There were two old GameStorm accounts, besides the GameStorm 8 account and the new account opened for GameStorm 9. The "GameStorm odd" account had $1,695.43 in it (this account was closed and the money moved temporarily to the OSFCI general account to save the fees that were being paid for it) and the "GameStorm even" account had about $4000. There is also now the new account, opened at the request of the GameStorm 9 committee, with $100 (the minimum needed to open the account). (Additionally, there was a "GameStorm Extra" account, with $70–that formed part of the $100 needed to open the new account.) John W needs direction on what should be done with the amount sitting in the OSFCI account (from GameStorm "odd"). Aaron C: Every GameStorm has had a surplus, and every one has paid OSFCI their portion, so what's left in any of the accounts is GameStorm money. It was agreed that the old funds would be rolled into the GameStorm 9 account.

Otherwise, there's a bunch of money in the OSFCI accounts, including about $12,000 in the merchant services account. Marc will determine how much of this is OryCon 28 and OryCon 29 memberships (and how much of the surplus and overhead fees should go to OSFCI) before any transfers are made–the total amount for these two events should be far less than the $12,000 in the account. (All the big bills–except for paying the artist–have been paid for OryCon 28, and there's still about $24,000 in the bank, including the credit card account.) Paul: We need to determine what the net amount (after credit card fees) is that goes to Ory 29 before the transfers are made.

Paul: Where is the mail going? David Schaber is still the registered agent for the various events and funds, is he getting the mail? John L picks up all the mail, and he forwards it to the right person–ignoring the "David Schaber" on the address. Isn't Sam the registered agent? Only for OSFCI, not the events and funds. Paul: The minutes from the September BOD meeting says that "Taxes are due on October 15th" (he's assuming this refers to the Federal 990 forms)–were they filed? They were due by May 15th, and you can get an automatic three month extension, making it August 15th–where does October 15th come from? John W: This was a date suggested by Sam. There's no strict deadline. Paul: You have to pay $20 a day each day that they are past the deadline, according to the IRS web site. John W: Not from my experience in filing forms that were two and three years past due.

Paul: OSFCI is still using the calendar year? (Yes.) OryCon 27 (2005) should have closed their books by February, 2006. John W: Because the OryCon 27 treasurer abruptly left the position, there was no one to wrap up the books. (We know the final balance, because we have the amount in the bank account–just no detail on the income and expenses.) John L: The IRS does want to know some breakdowns on the income and expenses, detailed by a few categories, which means we can't just use the bank balances at the end of the year. John W: We can estimate the breakdowns, based on other years. Paul: The events are supposed to file year-end statements with the corporation, so that OSFCI can use this information to file the state and federal forms in May. If the event is not forthcoming with the information, the OSFCI Treasurer needs to extract the information from them.

Paul: Another thing not mentioned so far is that the corporation was dissolved again on October 6th, for the third time in the last four years. (It's better now.) The Assumed Business Names all expired earlier this year, because they weren't renewed. Right now, these entities technically don't exist, and anyone could go on line and register any of the names ("Susan Petrey Fund", "Endeavour Award", "OryCon", "GameStorm", etc.) for their own use. These need to be renewed every two years. Patty: The last time this happened, she and Sam went through and renewed them, and she thought that Sam was going to handle this now. John L: All the renewal forms were given to John Williamson at the annual general meeting in late May. John W: They're probably still sitting in my files–I'll take the blame for it.

Linda: We should be able to take care of the renewals online. John L: The last time I looked, you could not renew an ABN online if it has already expired. Aaron C: Is there a written timeline of OSFCI actions that need to be taken care of? (No.) Because we've managed to keep this corporation going for about 28 years now…no one ever wrote these down? Paul: Every year, the Treasurer files a tax form, and every two years we renew the Assumed Business Names. (Also, the annual form needs to be filed for the corporation itself, giving the current officers of OSFCI.) Andrew: While we're refiling the forms, can we take Mr. Schaber's name off of them?

Aaron N: Speaking of which, he (Aaron) is the registered agent for OSFCI in the state of Washington (and he's received about 200 credit card offers because of it). When it comes up for renewal, do we want to continue the registration there? There doesn't seem to be a need for it, since we only ran GameStorm over there the one year. If we need to register again in Washington, we'll take of it when that need comes up.

Aaron N: We need to set up a corporate calendar so that these things get taken care of properly.

John W: Getting back to the OSFCI Treasury, we have about $13,000 in the account right now. Linda: Could we get a balance sheet so we know the specifics of what we have?

Patty: A few months back, Gene Armstrong said at an OryCon meeting that some of the OryCon 27 surplus (we think $1000) was supposed to go to the Endeavour Award. Has he ever brought this up to any of the officers? This was supposed to come through (Gene says) as part of the wrap up of OryCon 27, but since the treasurer of OryCon 27 disappeared and went to Mars, we didn't have a wrap up of OryCon 27. Patty told him to contact once of the OSFCI officers concerning this, but he has not so far. (He asked Patty again about this during the recent OryCon.) Linda: He did mention something about money, but gave no specifics.

Aaron N: Is this an OryCon issue or an OSFCI Issue? It was an OryCon issue, but since OryCon 27 is no more and the funds went to OSFCI, it's now an OSFCI issue. Andrew: Why don't we just go ahead and give $1000 to Endeavour from the OSFCI general funds, since that seems to have be the intent before the OryCon 27 treasurer turned into raspberry jam. Andrew moved that we do this, the motion was seconded and passed by the Board. Andrew: In an ideal world, we would have received a written request of this from the OryCon 27 committee.


III. Reports on Sponsored Activities
A. Conventions and Bids
1. OryCon 28 (2006)

Mary: We had, to all reports, a pretty great convention. There were some suggestions and a few minor complaints at the Onions & Orchids session at the end of the convention. John Bartley complained that he heard OryCon security chatter on a frequency they weren't supposed to be using. Linda has done some research, and we are allowed to use channels 8-14 on these radios (which are generic and range from channel 0 to channel 22) without a license, and channels 0-7 if the radio is no stronger than 500 milliwatts. Mary did discover one person on channel 22, who was complaining that he couldn't find anyone else (because everyone else was on the lower channels). People will be informed next year to stay on channels 14 and below. Other suggestions included the hotel lacking timepieces, so it was very hard to keep track of time during panels. (Some panelists wanted to keep the panels going until they were done talking.) There are inexpensive clocks that would attach to the air walls by Velcro, maybe we could use those.

Paul: How many people attended, what is the projected surplus? John L: There was a grand total of 1332 memberships numbers used (the "roughly 1400" estimate given at the convention was before we discovered that several badge numbers had been skipped during the convention–we don't know why). Four of those are being rolled over to next year (two of the people bought memberships twice, the others just couldn't attend), and there were 33 program participants (or guests) who didn't come, and we won't count them. That gives us 1,295 people who either paid for their memberships or were program participants or guests who did attend. Last year, the membership database had 1,322 people, but that included some duplicates, and the non-attending program participants weren't purged. So we're probably a couple dozen ahead of last year.

We didn't do a good job of keeping track of how many were one-days–unfortunately, we used the same format for the at-con registration cards that were used for OryCon 20, and we didn't sell one-day memberships at that convention. So the reg cards didn't have any "which day?" checkoff place, and we didn't think to track it manually until sometime Saturday morning. Aaron C: How many badges had to be reissued to people who'd been told that there's couldn't be found? John L: About 12-20–no idea why, since most of the time the badges were there at Pre-Reg. Aaron C: I noticed that some of them didn't have numbers. John L: They all should have had numbers–the same number they had originally, since we checked them on the pre-reg list before issuing new badges. All the badges issued at At-Con Registration included numbers.

Linda: Do we have an estimate on the surplus from the convention? Marc: Assuming the art show sales end up at the usual level, about $20,000, which also includes money left in the account from OryCon 26. Linda: We'll start OryCon 29 with a clean account, so that the final accounting there will be more accurate. John L: There were probably a couple dozen people making use of the $10 student discount. It might be a good idea next year to extend it to one-day memberships–$5 off for a daily membership, to go along with this year's $10 off for the weekend.

Paul asked about the lack of communication to the dealers, and how much we lost from the unused dealer space. One potential dealer sent in a check and form, had the check sent back a couple of months later (saying that the room was full) and got to the convention and was told that there was space waiting for them. (Too late for that dealer.) There were several empty spots in the dealer room. John L: On the topic of dealers, Lord Ronin asked to have brought up the subject of his OryCon dealer space. He canceled at the last minute because of the Marriott's no-smoking policy (after being told about the new policy last summer) and he wanted OSFCI to discuss refunding his money. It was decided by the Board that this was an OryCon matter. Is an OSFCI dealer policy needed, as regards to cancellations? OryCon has had a policy for several years, and it was felt this was new business and should be discussed later.

2. Potlatch 16 (2007)

Ruth: We are making progress. We have some dealers, and John can tell us how many members we have. John L: 82 members, as of today. Ruth: The convention is March 9-11 at the Red Lion Convention Center, and we'd happily sell you memberships now. John W: What is the rate now? $50. What will be the rate at the door? More. Aaron C: What is the break-even point? John L: We are budgeting based of 160 members, and we're halfway there, but less than half of the income, since the rates are going up. The 160 members used for the budget was fairly conservative compared to previous Potlatches, but then last year's in Seattle had a drop from what had been the average. Ruth: We should be receiving the master mailing list soon, so that we can get more publicity out.

3. Gamestorm 9 (2007)

Aaron N: GameStorm 9 has a management agreement ready to be signed. The GS 9 Treasurer has been added to the signers of the contract. It was pointed out that the agreement didn't include the $2 OSFCI overhead fee. Aaron N: Did we agree on this? Yes, it was decided just after the GS 8 contract was signed that all future management agreements would include this fee. The cost of the fee was added to the GS 9 management agreement budget. With this change, the Board approved signing the agreement. Patty: A reminder that the more you encourage people to rent hotel rooms, the more the hotel will want you back next year. Aaron N: GS 9 will be doing more out-of-town advertising, with a significant jump in the budget for advertising. Paul: Do you have any relationship with the gaming convention held at the Edgefield each year? Ambercon is a very specialized convention dealing with a specific type of role playing game, so it's a very specialized audience. But GS will talk to them.

4. OryCon 29 (2007)

We have a hotel contract and a Guest of Honor (Robert Charles Wilson). George RR Martin (our first choice) books up very early, and to be able to bring him in we'd have to ask at least two years in advance. Patty also mentioned that Parris, George's partner, is a very heavy smoker and with the Marriott's new no-smoking policy and this may cause problems. Patty: There is a sizeable increase in the hotel sleeping room rate this year (up to $106) but they will be doing a lot of rehab work in the hotel between now and next year's OryCon–including state-of-the-art elevator hardware, so we'll consider this an "elevator tax." We only paid them about $5000 this year for everything, including the GOH rooms and equipment rental. John L: That's a good bit less than we had been paying at our old hotel at Jantzen Beach. We have about 200 members for OryCon 29 right now. We brought in about $4250 at this year's OryCon for next year, and a (minimal) web page is up for OryCon 29, with PayPal activated to accept memberships. Aaron C: Do we need to set up an account for OryCon 29? John L: We'll use the "OryCon odd" account. John W: Whoops, that was one of the accounts that was eliminated to save fees. We'll need one started again as soon as possible so that we can safely get the OryCon 29 money deposited.


A. Funds and Awards

1. Susan C. Petrey Clarion Scholarship Fund

Debbie: We raised about $2300 at OryCon, which about half of what is given out each year–so donations from event surpluses would be greatly appreciated. They're celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Petrey Fund next year at OryCon. (If we have something nice for the Petrey Fund, Ursula K. Le Guin would attend.) Maybe using a suite Friday night for a Clarion- and Petrey-oriented event, and maybe some Clarion programming at the convention, as well as having some previous Petrey winners as programming guests.

Debbie presented an updated, proposed charter for the Fund. This included a clause that would allow the Fund to separate cleanly from OSFCI, if need be. Paul: As for the financial report for the third quarter of 2006, the Fund brought in some interest on its investments but there are never any expenses during this quarter. There will be a lot more activity in the fourth quarter. Debbie: The Fanthorpe contest didn't draw a lot of entries. She will try to have the entries they did receive posted on Brian Hunt's Fanthorpe web site. No decision yet if this will happen again next year.

Debbie spoke with Oregon Community Foundation (OCF) about the possibility of a financial suit against OSFCI making the Petrey funds with OCF vulnerable. The reply from OCF was that this has never happened–however, the legal actions against the Catholic Church have shown there is a slight potential for this to happen. (However, when the tax forms are filed, the money with OCF goes in as part of their funds, not as part of OSFCI's.) Andrew moved that we table the proposed charter until Sam has a chance to look it over. This motion was passed by the Board.

2. Clayton Memorial Medical Fund

James Fiscus was unable to attend the meeting due to recent hip surgery. He did send the attached report.

3. Endeavour Award

James Fiscus was unable to attend the meeting due to recent hip surgery. He did send the attached report.

The Board approved Sarah Bryant's appointment as the Administrator of the Endeavour Award.


IV. Other Continuing Business

A. Hotel Committee

Patty has spoken to the Vancouver Hilton but they still want $5000 a day for their space and they have a low number of rooms–which is the problem. We can pay the Marriott $5000 for everything because we rent so many hotel rooms; but at the Vancouver Hilton, we can't rent enough hotel rooms to get the cost for meeting space alone down from the $5000 per day. There aren't any good alternatives: The Red Lion at Jantzen Beach doesn't want us because its owner is trying to change it into an upscale boutique hotel. The old DoubleTree Columbia River (OryCon's old site) won't become a Wal-Mart after all, but it's still closed. The Hilton downtown won't have us. The Holiday Inn Airport would take us but their contracts are unacceptable. If the Marriott suddenly went out of business, the only two real options to keep OryCon going would be either the Vancouver Hilton, or downsize OryCon enough to fit into the Sheraton at the airport.

Having said this, this is where we stand. After two years at the Marriott at the same room rate ($99), they are raising the rates substantially (to $106–the rack rate is $189 a night) after their major remodeling this coming year. After the contract for 2007, they are offering a contract for 2008, 2009, 2010 that would raise the room rates about 5% a year, with a 75% attrition clause. (We pay penalties if we don't fill 75% of our room block –the entire block was filled this year, weeks before the convention.) Patty talked to several experienced people at Smofcon this month–all of whom said that 5% increase with a 75% attrition clause is an excellent deal compared to the rest of the industry. Patty recommends that, even if we still want to talk to other hotels before making long-term decisions, we take the offer from the Marriott for 2008. She may be able to convince the Marriott to tie the room rate to the consumer price index rather than a flat 5%–but if we delay in signing, Marriott corporate may raise the prices a lot more after the remodeling is done. She will insist that we have an opt-out clause, such as 18 months to back out of the contract for the year in question.

The rates would go up–but costs for the convention would not. Only two items go up: there is now a one-time fee for the Internet connection, and we only get two suites comped instead of three. The space rental prices remain the same. And the hotel has been good to us–the extra AV equipment that we needed when some of our rented equipment didn't show up…the hotel only charged us for half of it. We are going to run into some complaints about the room rates, but there doesn't seem to be any place in town that we can do better with. Andrew: Is there any advantage to signing a three year deal? Patty: Yes, the corporate revenue people have a policy of raising the room rates 10-15% any time a hotel completes a remodel such as the one the Portland hotel will be going through.

"Loki, get down from there now!"
Back to the meeting, now that the devil cat is off of the kitchen counter…

…So the local people are trying to get the contracts in place with their regulars before the corporate people direct them to raise the rates. Andrew moved (with a slight change by John L moved that Patty be requested to negotiate and recommend for signature a three year contract (which the 18 month opt-out clause). The Board approved this unanimously.

B. Charity Committee

Paul asked if there was a separate charity subcommittee beside the one that he and Debbie were part of, which met and passed on their report. There seems to be another committee (based on minutes from a meeting last year) that consisted of Linda, Patty, Jim Fiscus and John Bunnell on coordinating fund-raising. But this is not the one that Paul and Debbie were part of. It's not certain right now what that committee is doing.

C. Audit Committee

Is this a committee where John W, as corporate treasurer, is auditing the events-or the event treasurers are auditing him? Debbie: There should be someone auditing the corporate books, as well as John auditing the event books. Paul: There should be a meeting attended by every treasurer, all of them coming prepared with trial balances, where they can all go over the accounts. Andrew was doubtful that we could arrange a meeting that will get everyone to attend. Paul will set a meeting in mid-March–there are 50 people on the OryCon, they can delegate someone. The Board approved this idea, with Paul being chair of the audit committee.


V. New Business
1. Bids for OryCon 29

Steve Criss and Karyn Hoffert were presenting a bid to chair (and vice-chair) OryCon 29. A copy of their proposal had been circulated to the Board before this meeting, and a copy was included in the packet handed out at the beginning of the meeting. Melvin Krehbiel was also attending in order to present a bid for OryCon 29. (There was a slight delay while enough copies of his bid proposal were made for all the people attending.)

One correction of the Criss-Hoffert proposal: Aaron Curtis was supposed to be listed as "tentative" on the proposed committee list. Melvin didn't have a chance to prepare a proposed committee list for his presentation.

Andrew had some reservations about the Criss-Hoffert proposal about the two paragraphs under "Other Financial Issues" (regarding both the possible limitations of complimentary memberships for program participants and their guests, and providing transportation for guest of the Guests of Honor). Since the last two OryCons seemed to have made plenty of money, while covering these expenses, Andrew feels the Board should express the opinion that it's perfectly reasonable to maintain both of those procedures and expenses through the next convention. Patty agreed, since the comped memberships are about the only thing we provide to these participants. Steve: We haven't had a chance to see the financial numbers for OryCon 28, but the intent of this section was to indicate a desire to take an active look at all aspects of the convention rather than rubber-stamping everything. Debbie: It's definitely a good idea to take a fresh look at everything.

Karyn: A lot of people came up to her at this year's convention, excited about working on next year's.

There was some discussion about how the proposed "pirates" theme will fit with the GOH, since he often writes fairly hard science fiction. Paul: Are you ready to spend up to 20 hours a week for your life this next year, running this convention? Steve: Absolutely. Karyn: We do have a lot of new people on the proposed committee list, since attracting new committee members has been a problem. At the same time, we're hoping the experienced people who have been working on OryCon will mentor these new people. Andrew volunteers to run programming for either of the bids, especially with the possibility of having Ursula Le Guin on the program. Steve: We need to bring in some new people to work with Andrew. Andrew has been talking to some people to bring them in on the programming staff–he does need someone to handle the IT side of programming.

Andrew: In the absence of a full committee list from the other (Krehbiel) bid, I feel that we need to give more weight to the first (Criss-Hoffert) bid. Karyn: Are you willing to train people in running programming during OryCon 29 with the idea that they might take over for OryCon 30? Yes.

Patty: Melvin, are you primarily interested in running OryCon 29 or OryCon 30? Melvin: I'm primarily interested in OryCon 30, but people have asked me if I wanted to put a bid forward for 29, and I thought I should do so. Marc: Melvin, if you do not end up running OryCon 29, are you still interested in working on the art show? Yes.

There was a lot of discussion of including new people on the committee, including a lot of mentoring by the experienced folks. Paul suggested that the size of the committee be lowered a little, as it might make committee communications work a little easier. Patty suggested having a strong executive committee, since seems to have helped the committee run a lot better. She was up mixed thoughts about the bid–she felt that Criss-Hoffert would bring in more new people, but Melvin's been running the art show, which is in many ways a microcosm of the convention.

Debbie: OSFCI several years ago put together some criteria for what is needed in a bid, including a committee list consisting of at least a few of the key areas (such as treasurer). Since we only have one bid right now that meets these criteria, and Melvin has said he's mostly interesting in OryCon 30, it seems like we only have one bid to consider tonight. Since Andrew seems to be running programming no matter which bid is approved, could Debbie get Andrew a list of Petrey winners so that he can include them in the program?

Paul moved that the Board accept the Criss-Hoffert bid. The motion was seconded. John L moved that we table the motion until we have a chance to discuss it a little more.

Ruth asked for more information on the people who are listed for running registration…do they have much experience? Karyn: No, but they are eager to learn. She is planning on encouraging people to ask questions of the experienced folks rather than blindly plowing ahead. There was some discussion on what is needed to both encourage people to get the information they need, and also what is needed to oversee people so that they will perform their needed functions.

John L: Can these bids be combined–can Melvin be included as a vice-chair with Karyn and Steve (or, at the very least, be part of the executive committee) while working on an OryCon 30 bid? Yes. The original motion to table the discussion (until more discussion took place) was untabled, and the Criss-Hoffert bid for OryCon 29 (including their treasurer) was approved by the Board.


The meeting was then adjourned.




Potlatch 16
As of December 6, 2006

Income

  Memberships $2,886.08 (82 memberships overall)
  Dealer Tables $290.00 (w/ 4 membs.)
  Pass-Along Funds $1,000.00  
  $4,176.08  
 
Expenses  
  Bank Fees $ 45.00  
  Web Site Domain/Hosting Fee $75.00  
  PRs & Flyers Printing $73.18  
  Postage for PRs $39.00  
  Reg Supplies $27.07  
  $259.25  
 
Net-to-Date $3,916.83  

(Doesn't include money spent from, or reimbursed to, Potlatch account for OryCon)


The Clayton Memorial Medical Fund Award
Report to the OSFCI Board

December 7, 2006

Requests for Aid:

We have received no eligible requests for aid since our report in September. We have, however, received two requests from non-professional writers seeking general grants. In response, we have re-written the description of the fund on our Web page to make it clearer that we only provide aid to professional writers, and only for medical expenses.

Funds Available:

The Fund has about $7,000.00 in the bank.

Board of Trustees

No changes


Board of Trustees, December 7, 2006

Committee MembersFirst AppointedTerm Expires
James Fiscus, ChairmanOctober 1996Novermber 2008
Page Fuller, TreasurerOctober 1996Novermber 2008
Karyn Hoffert, OSFCI Rep.July 2005November 2007
Geri JeterNovember 2002November 2007
Ruth SachterNovember 2002November 2007
Marc WellsNovember 2003November 2007

Submitted,
James W. Fiscus
Chairman, Clayton Board of Trustees




The Endeavour Award
Report to the OSFCI Board

December 7, 2006

Financial Report:

At OryCon, we brought in a total of $750. $534 was donated by CBR and we sold memberships and obtained donations at our Saturday night reception for the remainder. (The money raised at the reception more than covered the expenses for the night.) We expect a matching corporate donation, which will double the money to $1,500.00. Several other people may be sending us memberships.

Prior to deposit of the money raised at OryCon and following convention and Award expenses, we have $159.19, which will rise to $1, 659.16 when all the money and matching funds are in the account. While we will need about $1,000 more to fully fund us for 2007, we expect to receive half the money raised by CBR at their planned Radcon auction.

Committee News:

The Committee voted to add Sarah Bryant to the Committee. She will act as Administrator of the Award. Sarah's degrees are in history and linguistics. She is retired after a career as a public health manager in Austin, Texas. She moved to Oregon in 1995 at the urging of her son, writer Jay Lake. She has been a reader of SF since childhood. She has already taken over much of the general administration of the Award.

Sarah and the Committee are aware of the potential conflict of interest should her son have a book entered. In such a case, the Chairman will manage the judging of Jay's book.

MOTION: The Board of OSFCI ratifies the appointment of Sarah Bryant to the Endeavour Committee.

2006 Winner and Judges:

Jerry Oltion won the 2006 Endeavour Award for his book Anywhere But Here. Our judges were writers Lawrence Watt-Evans, Elizabeth Moon, and James D. Macdonald.

2007 Books Received:

We have 14 books in for next year's Award with another in the mail to us. We know of four more that authors have asked editors to send to us, so we are on track to match our usual number of submissions. (32-35)


Endeavour Committee, December 7, 2006

Committee MembersFirst AppointedTerm Expires
Sarah Bryant, AdministratorOctober 2006November 2009
James Fiscus, ChairmanOctober 1996November 2008
Page FullerOctober 1996November 2008
Marilyn J. HoltSeptember 2000November 2008
Sara MuellerOctober 2003November 2007
Alan RosenthalJanuary 2006November 2009
Sheila SimonsonOctober 1996November 2007
Shawn Wall, TreasurerNovember 2005November 2007

Submitted,
James W. Fiscus
Chairman, Endeavour Award

Proposal for OryCon29

OryCon29
November 16, 17 & 18, 2007

Proposed Guests of Honor

Proposed Theme: Pirates: Past-Present-Future

Science fiction, like many other creative endeavors, draws upon the collective past of the people who create it. One of the biggest features of Sci-Fi today is the ever-present idea of pirates. The classical depiction of a pirate as a free-wheeling marauder is, of course, far from the historical truth. However, this has not dampened the romantic lure of this archetype.

Pirates have been ever-present in fictional literature, as well as in ordinary life. One has to look no further than the chief officers in many modern corporations who have been featured in the evening news. As society become increasingly complex, ordered and pre-arranged, there is no doubt that the archetype of "pirate" will continue to exist, whether in fiction or real-life.

What do I want/what's my experience?

I propose to Chair OryCon29 and continue the relationship OryCon has with its corporate sponsor, OSFCI, as it has traditionally done. The multiple benefits of working with OSFCI are of value to the continued growth of OryCon as a convention.

I have been on OryCon committees for the last five years. At OryCon28 and 27, I worked in Gaming, endeavoring to expand the miniatures gaming area and improving gaming attendance. While some feel that gaming belongs in another convention, there is a large segment of gamers who attend OryCon regularly, and now have more reasons than ever to attend. At OryCon26, I worked as a programming assistant, and in OryCon25 and 24, I served as Hall Costume, expanding the Hall Costume awards, and generating more interest on the part of the membership to attend OryCon in garb. I also have experience handling money as the treasurer for GameStorms 7 & 8, working closely with John Williamson in treasury matters.

Vice-chair's experience?

Karyn Hoffert has been attending OryCon since OryCon13. OryCon24, Karyn took over Masked Ball, and for OryCon25, planned the Masked ball and set up the ballroom decorations. For OryCons 26, 27 and 28, Karyn has done the Hall Costume awards, which were very well received by the convention membership. Karyn devotes her maximum attention and effort in taking care of any responsibilities she is tasked with. She is very organized, prompt and patient and will contribute her best efforts in making OryCon29 a success.

How will requested money be spent?

OryCon has been self-supporting in the past two years, at our current hotel. There is no reason for this to change for its 29th year. With the proposed GOH, it is expected that we will continue to be self-supporting, as well as being able to generate sufficient finds to seed the next OryCon convention.

OryCon will continue to rely on its membership base, dealers and artists for the bulk of its finances. It will continue to utilize fliers, web sites and event calendars to help promote itself. I expect that OryCon29 will see a continued return of its regulars members, as well as see an increase in new memberships.

Hotel

I propose to hold OryCon29 at the Portland Marriott, continuing the relationship it has had with the hotel from the last two years.

The Committee:

The remaining positions will be filled as soon as possible, following the Board's final review.

Proposed Budget

(See attached)

Child Memberships

OryCon will continue to offer Child memberships to attendees under the age of 12. The cost will be half the prevailing membership rate at the time of purchase. Memberships purchased for a child under 12 must be made by an adult who will be attending the convention with the minor for whom they are responsible.

Other financial issues

OryCon's continued offer of complimentary memberships to Guests and their significant others WILL BE reviewed this year. While there is no objection to offering complimentary memberships to a GOH and their significant other, I do have some reservations about extending this offer to regular panelists without some sort of review.

GOHs should continue to receive complimentary memberships, room and per diem award. However, support for a significant other may need to be reassessed if their inclusion affects travel and room costs.

Meeting Schedule

The committee meeting schedule for OryCon29 is tentative. A list of meeting dates will be arranged as soon as possible.

I look forward to hearing from the OSFCI Board about the proposal. I also welcome any questions, concerns and suggestions.

Sincerely,
Steven Criss


OryCon 29

Expenses:

Chair
Art Show $3,000
Chair/Misc. $1,000
Contingency $1,500
Dealers $625
Hotel $11,000
Registration $1,300
Treasurer $200
$18,625
Events
Dances/Events/Tech. $3,000
Masquerade $300
Opening Ceremonies $100
$3,400
Member Services
Child Care $1,000
Fanzine Room $100
Hospitality $4,000
Internet Café $1,500
T-Shirts $1,100
$7,700
Operations
Logistics $1,500
Office $200
Rangers $75
Volunteers $50
$1,825
Programming
Gaming $100
Guests of Honor $4,000
Program $1,500
Writer's Workshops $50
Video $100
$5,750
Publications
PR/Pocket & 'Zine $3,500
Souvenir Book $7,000
$10,500
Total Expenses $47,800


Income:
 
Pre-registration through Dec. 31, 2006 (200 @ $25 each) $5,000
Pre-registration through June 30, 2007 (300 @ $35 each) $10,500
Pre-registration through Oct. 31, 2007 (600 @ $45 each) $27,000
At the door Memberships (150 @ $55 each) $8,250
Total Registration (1250 members) $50,750
Income from Art Show (rough estimate) $1,250
Income from Dealers (booth & table sales plus 50 @ 25) $4,000
$5,250

Total Estimated Income $56,000
Total Estimated Expenses $47,800
Total Estimated Net Income $8,200


Announcement of intent to provide a Proposal for OryCon29

(Large parts of an accompanying document – Proposal for OryCon29 – have been ghostwritten for me. This is fine as a template, but not as a proposal. Accordingly, this is not a complete proposal, but announcement of intent.)

I propose to Chair OryCon 29 and request OSFCI for a management agreement delegating the authority to conduct and manage the convention to myself. OryCon 29 will use OSFCI's insurance, mailing permit and will be conducted as a charitable, educational and literary event, in compliance with OSFCI's status as a not-for-profit corporation.

I have headed the OryCon Art Department for the past 2 years. Prior to that, I have been primary staff for the art show for a number of years. I have previously headed the Office. With the aid of the OryCon chairpersons emeritus, I feel I can draw the necessary expertise in those areas I have not personally headed. Between being on the committees for a number of years, and from my experience with the art show, I feel I have the necessary experience to lead OryCon to a successful 29th year.

Please find attached a proposed budget.

Our hotel will be the Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, with whom OSFCI is currently negotiating a contract, with a target date of the third weekend of November, 2007.

We have an acceptance for a writer Guest of Honor, Robert Charles Wilson.

I have not filled the posts I have been informed are considered key, but I have some prospects I have not had time to fully pursue, and I have tentative acceptance on some of the other posts.

OryCon will continue to offer Child memberships to attendees under the age of 12. Cost will be half the prevailing membership rate at the time of purchase. Memberships purchased for a child under 12 must be made by an adult who will attend the convention with the minor for whom they are responsible. OryCon 29 will not offer a senior rate, but may offer a student rate. OryCon will continue to offer of complimentary memberships to Programming Participants and Guests. Guests of Honor will continue to receive complimentary memberships, room and per diem.

OryCon 29' s special challenge will be making certain that we have enough staff and support to run the convention, as our pool of volunteers and people interested in working on the committee has been declining. I recognize this as a significant challenge and will be working to recruit not only from within our ranks but will also try to recruit, train and develop new talent from the general con population.

A meeting schedule has not yet been established, but will likely follow the pattern and timing of past OryCons.

Sincerely,
Melvin Krehbiel

OryCon 29

Expenses:

Chair
Art Show $3,000
Chair/Misc. $1,000
Contingency $1,500
Dealers $625
Hotel $11,000
Registration $1,300
Treasurer $200
$18,625
Events
Dances/Events/Tech. $3,000
Masquerade $300
Opening Ceremonies $100
$3,400
Member Services
Child Care $1,000
Fanzine Room $100
Hospitality $3,000
Internet Café $1,500
T-Shirts $1,100
$6,700
Operations
Logistics $1,500
Office $100
Rangers $75
Volunteers $50
$1,725
Programming
Gaming $100
Guests of Honor $4,000
Program $1,500
Writer's Workshops $50
Video $100
$5,750
Publications
PR/Pocket & 'Zine $3,500
Souvenir Book $7,000
$10,500
Total Expenses $46,700


Income:
 
Pre-registration through Dec. 31, 2006 (200 @ $25 each) $5,000
Pre-registration through June 30, 2007 (250 @ $35 each) $8,750
Pre-registration through Oct. 31, 2007 (550 @ $45 each) $24,750
At the door Memberships (100 @ $55 each) $5,500
Total Registration (1110 members) $44,000
Income from Art Show (rough estimate) $1,250
Income from Dealers (booth & table sales plus 50 @ 25) $4,000
$5,250

Total Estimated Income $29,250
Total Estimated Expenses $46,700
Total Estimated Net Income $2,550