OSFCI Board meeting notes/minutes 28Mar2005

 

Present Linda Pilcher, Dave Schaber, Aaron Curtis, Aaron Nabil, John Williamson, Patty Wells, Andrew Nesbit III, Scott Sanford. Jim Fiscus, John Lorentz, Page Fuller, Sam, Shyrl Hester, Mark Burns (at least 3 others)

 

Meeting called to order by Linda Pilcher at 7:34 pm

 

Minutes of previous meeting not available at present will approve when Dave Schaber arrives

 

Minutes of emergency email meeting available as gleaned from e-mails by Linda Pilcher

Motion to approve byAndrew Nesbit – 2nd Linda approved by acclamation

 

Linda asked if everyone knew about the financial complexities and situation and weather there were any questions about it.  Since John was there it was suggested that the treasures report was the appropriate time to discuss it and the floor was given to John Williamson

Ø      Treasures report – John Williamson submitted in writing and emailed previously to

We (OFSCI) are roughly scraping by. There is a surplus from game storm ~$1000  There is an insurance fee from game storm that should be received soon.

Patty Wells did all of OryCon 25 money get to OryCon 27

Since there around 1500 members about $750 given to OSFCI

We are due money from game storm that will come in just in time

 

There is a check for $2000 made to OSFCI presumably for Susan Petrey Fund

 

$1500 from game storm needs to be either distributed the group is owed it for $6

 

Motion to have Aaron Nabil to investigate moving internet stuff to somewhere else (spiritone) – moved Linda 2nd Nesbit – approved by acclamation

 

Discussion about separate accounts for each new event etc. – All accounts need to have a signature of the OSFCI treasure – The treasure suggests that there should be an account for recurring events like OryCon even, OryCon odd, etc.

New accounts will have a charge about $72 we should

 

Discussion about treasures/banking committee be created.  Aaron Curtis remembers that a committee does exist just that it does not seem to meet

 

There needs to be at least 2 people on an account one of which should always be the OFSCI treasurer

 

Nisbit reminds the board that there is an audit committee though to his knowledge it hasn’t met

 

Patty Wells prefers that the chair of any event sign a management agreement – Aaron Nabil to sign one.  Some language changes were discussed but not made and this is why the delay has happened.  In the interim we should have Aaron Nabil to sign an old one

Registration as non-profit is renewed (Sam)

John Williamson is working on forms 990(federal), CT 12, CT 15(state)

 

John Williamson recognized Page Fuller as a most wonderful resource and she and he will attempt to find out what they can from Lacey Axemaker

 

Ø      OryCon 26

John Williamson, reporting.  He has talked to Lacey it seems that the bills have been paid

Page Fuller said that she received an NSF check for orycon 26 and gave it to John Williamson for him to take care of

Ø      OryCon 27 Patty Wells

We have a contract with Marriott for first weekend of November

Many things are different because we signed less than a year in advance.  Contracts were review by a number of people including Aaron Curtis Dave Schaber and Ben Yallow checking for everything that people could remember might be a problem.  Hospitality as OryCon has had it seems to be an issue, Patty contacted Bobbie DuFault for assistance with that.

Many of the spaces have a Thursday move in time.  There are a few with a late Friday move in time the worst being the big ballroom.  The other party in the ballroom is Intel no chance really to get them to leave earlier

 

Motion: The board appoints Patty Wells to obtain penciled in hotel contracts for OryCon 28, which she will submit to the hotel committee and the board. The Board will act with all due haste if required to assure reservation or right of first refusal moved by Aaron Curtis 2nd Nesbit passes by acclamation

Aaron Curtis indicates that a hotel committee exists – Patty Wells, Melanie Schaber, Aaron Curtis, Ben Yalow motion is modified to indicate that.

 

Pre-Reg report numbers – to be mailed

Dave Schaber – Due to the change in hotel (venue), finances will change

Fiscus – drop in attendance might be 10% or more due to the move and more since it’s a forced move

Ø      Smofcon 23

Dave Schaber

First committee meeting has been held things are moving along

Hotel signed - Red Lion convention center

John Lorentz -

34 pre-registrations - 6 or 8 memberships on bank card hope to have 150

$900 in account

Date is December 2nd – 4th

Treasury questions handling of account after the Con – it is recommended that it be zeroed out

 

Ø      GameStorm 7 – Aaron Curtis

Membership 657 a growth of 10% even due the other conflicts NorWestcon and Easter

GameStorm about $15k minus expenses

Crying and whining

Room block was made – at least 170

Surplus seems to be likely

RPGA wants to turn it into a regional

Several other groups want to make it a regional

Ø      GameStorm 8 - Aaron Nabil

Potential increase

Hotel not yet picked out yet to hotel challenges

·        Patty Wells

Many hotels are not available for date

Handout - contract reviews and indicates things that were sub-optimal

Monarch may be an option

Melanie Schaber - agrees to help out once hotel is selected

Room nights is the key

A higher budget could be spent on hotel about $2250 GameStorm 7

Nesbit makes suggestion to look into space like the convention center since most of the people attending game storm tend to “be in by 9:30”.  This could also help with Aaron Curtis’ desire to have more space only on Saturday for the “tournaments” 

Ø      Susan C Petrey Clarion Scholarship Fund

No information – Mailed by Dave Schaber nothing received yet

Ø      Jim Fiscus stuff 

·        Clayton Memorial Medical- Page Fuller

No award recently

·        Endeavour award - Jim Fiscus

Bobbie DuFault – Could do a fund raiser

Possibility of corporate money

 

Ø      Other business

·        By-laws changes - Nesbit

Andrew suggested that the board of directors submit a board-approved list of changes to the annual general meeting.  There are currently 2 versions that need to be worked together one by Andrew and the other by Dave Schaber.  Among the changes discussed were:

Meeting date and time changes 4th week of every month except 1st week in December - Annual meeting will still be in May – replacing the Monday day of the week requirement

There should be 4 board meetings during the year with an additional board organizational meeting to elect officers just after the Annual General meeting

Suggested meetings should be in the months of January, April, July, October and one after the General meeting May

Suggestion that “Charted” be added to all sub-groups “Charted” means little or nothing under Oregon law. Sam indicates that they are considered sub-committees of the organization

Sam asked what types of insurance the organization has for example embezzlement other liabilities?

A discussion about Quorum rules – presently only a majority of the board members need to be present as well as to amend the bylaws

Aaron Curtis suggests that a message needs to be sent out to the membership with a Proxy form to encourage members that are unable to attend to sign proxies

·        Motions to Excuse from meetings

Motion to excuse Andrew Nesbit from next board meeting as he may still be traveling back from China made by Dave Schaber - 2nd John Williamson – approved.

Motion to excuse Melanie Schaber from this meeting made by Aaron Curtis 2nd Dave – approved (noted Dave and Mel are Grandparents)

·        NON-Profit Boards Patty Wells

Done by e-mail handout from http://www.boardsource.org/fullanswer.asp?ID=98

Linda to co-ordinate finding all items on the list

John Williamson to send copies of what he has to Sam

Nesbit moves to create a position of board archivist an Sam suggests that it just be sent to the lawyer/council

Job descriptions need to be created

There should be reports from every board office (written) at every meeting

·        Garage

Sam’s report

It’s a fight we can do but it will not be on retainer

Motion to have Sam send a letter as appropriate to parties in question at the apartments Dave Schaber to send a list to Sam with details of contents of storage units

Sam offered to make the presentation to the general board

·        Minutes of last meeting presented by Dave Schaber moved 2nd approved (acrimonious didn’t catch who moved or seconded)

Meeting adjourned at 10:?? pm

david_schaber@hotmail.com

albertsmommy@gmail.com


 

Home

Bookstore

Consulting & Training

Membership

Board Info

About Us

Member Log in

go

...

 

Become a Member

go

 

In this section:

   Topic Papers
   E-Books
   Board Essentials
   Nonprofit Essentials
   All Q&As
   Research
   Governance in the News
   Links
   Ask Our Consultants

...

 

KEYWORD SEARCH

 

go

...

 

Board Essentials

What goes in the board manual?

The Board Manual: An Orientation and Resource Tool

The foundation of a committed, knowledgeable, and effective board is orientation and education. As an essential companion to orientation and education, every organization should have a thorough, easy-to-use manual that board members can use throughout their terms. A board manual serves two functions. For the new board member, it is an orientation handbook that provides useful information about the organization, board structure and operations, and fellow board members and staff. For the balance of a member's board service, the manual then becomes an indispensable working tool and a central resource about the organization and the board. Materials can be added and removed to create an up-to-date reference. The board manual is developed by staff in consultation with the board chairperson and other officers. Present it to board members in a durable, attractive loose-leaf notebook with a table of contents and clearly divided and labeled sections. Date every item and replace material when necessary. Insert stationery, brochures, and similar items in pockets of the notebook.

To develop a working manual that board members use and rely on:

  • Don't overwhelm new board members with too much information. When several examples are available (e.g., current press clippings), include only one.
  • Keep each item brief. A two-paragraph biography of the executive director is preferable to a four-page resume, for example.
  • Use the handbook as a "textbook" during board orientation.
  • Encourage board members to read and ask questions about the material.
  • Ask board members to evaluate the usefulness of the manual each year.
  • Revise the contents or format based on their comments.

Board manual contents checklist

A thorough board manual can include the following materials. (Remember to keep each item as concise as possible.)

The board

  • Board members listing and bios
  • Board members terms
  • Board statement of responsibilities
  • Committee and task force job and descriptions

Historical references of the organization

  • Brief written history and/or fact sheet
  • Articles of Incorporation
  • Bylaws
  • IRS determination letter
  • Listing of past board members

Strategic framework

  • Mission and vision statement
  • Strategic framework or plan
  • Current annual operating plan

Minutes from some recent board meetings

Policies pertaining to the board

  • Policy on potential conflicts of interest
  • Insurance policy coverage
  • Travel/meeting expense reimbursements

Finance and fundraising

  • Prior-year annual report
  • Most recent audit report
  • Current annual budget
  • Form 990
  • Banking resolutions
  • Investment policy
  • Current funder list

Staff

  • Staff listing
  • Organization/team chart

Other information

  • Annual calendar
  • Web site information
  • Promotional material (membership brochure, information brochure, advertisements, etc.)

BoardSource Bookstore

The Nonprofit Legal Landscape

Governance as Leadership

Understanding Nonprofit Financial Statements

Event Calendar

March 17-18, 2005
Higher Impact: Improving Foundation Performance

April 11-15, 2005
Principles and Techniques of Fundraising

April 17-20, 2005
6th Gathering of the Social Enterprise Alliance

More Events...

 

 

Site Map | Privacy | Contact Us | Terms & Conditions

Copyright 2002 all rights reserved
BoardSource 1828 L Street NW Suite 900, Washington DC 20036-5114
202-452-6262 or 800-883-6262 Fax 202-452-6299

This site is best viewed in Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5+ or Netscape 6.0+.