OSFCI BOARD OF DIRECTORS

Quarterly Meeting Minutes

September 24, 2001

 

Present: Board and officers:  Linda Pilcher, Melanie Schaber, David Schaber, Marc Wells, Patty Wells, Andrew Nisbet, Lea Rush, Roger Wells, Jim Fiscus, and Sam Justice.

 

The meeting was called to order at 7:40 pm by President Linda Pilcher.

 

Minutes:  

Minutes of previous meeting were accepted without correction.

 

Treasurer's Report :

James Wilsonsage was not present (Called in to work) so will e-mail report to BOD members.

 

 

Convention Reports:

 

     Orycon 23:

     So far all is going well.  Memberships seem to be down, but are picking up.  Right now we are at about 800              memberships.

 

     Orycon 24:

     No report.

 

     Gamestorm 2002:

     No report.

 

     Left Coast Crime:

     Things seem to be going well.   Memberships seem to be coming in nicely.

 

     Westercon 54:

     Received the hotel bill.  There were some strange charges on the bill. Melanie and Patty will do the appropriate        negotiations to get everything straightened out.

 

 

Funds and Awards:

 

     Susan C. Petrey Clarion Scholarship Fund:

     No report. (Paul and Debbie out of country)

 

     Clayton Memorial Medical Fund:

     (report attached)  There have been no recent financial assistance given.  There were two requests, but both             were ineligible.

     It was moved and accepted that Marc Wells be appointed the OFSCI representative to the Clayton Fund.

     The motion to make the term three years was passed.

 

 

     Endeavour Award:

     Motion that M. Rosenburg(sp) be accepted to the board was passed.

     12 books have entered so far.  The judges for next years reading have been selected.

     When asked about fundraising, Jim replied that they are putting a fundraising package together.

     John Lorentz found some items in the garage that were donated for fundraising purposes.

     Peggy Kennedy had two sets of magazines that we want to auction. 

 

     Peggy Kennedy’s book went to the publisher.  Transfer of copyright was accepted.

     Need to send David Levine the link for the web page.

 

     One of this years finalists (C. Bunch) has volunteered to help with Orycon 23 Writers workshop.  Suggested that      future finalists be asked to volunteer for writers workshops.

 

 

Other Continuing Business:

 

     Subcommittees reports:

 

          Banning Policy –

          Not much has been done as of yet (One of the two people on this sub-committee is busy trying to put together           a convention).  Much discussion and many ideas were discussed.  It was decided that we should look at the             original banning policy, and work out a new policy.  It was also suggested that when the policy is polished, it             should be included in the management agreements. 

 

 

     Badge Printer:

     Melanie Schaber researched the pricing on the proposed badge printer. 

     The motion to buy the badge printer was passed.

 

 

 New Business:

 

      Hotel:

      We have been having strange problems dealing with the hotel.  We should watch for problems in the future.

 

      Training:

      We are beginning to have a lack of people who are trained in doing specific jobs at the conventions.  Propose          we start recruiting new people and train the ones we have in various areas (Hotel, Registration, etc.)

 

 

      Legal:

      Andrew mentioned it was time to send Sam a check.  James to send Sam Justice a $300 check.

 

     

 

 

 

      Other comments:

     Many suggestions on how to handle representatives from OSFCI and each convention be handled.  Andrew             had suggested that Reports be given by the representative, instead of the Chair.  Whatever is decided should          go into future management agreements.

 

      Meeting adjourned at 9:25